Properly disposing of hazardous waste can be costly and inconvenient. Fortunately, small business owners in Santa Clara County have a cost-effective and environmentally sound option to meet their hazardous waste recycling and disposal needs.
If your business qualifies as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG), you have the opportunity to participate in our program. To qualify, you must generate less than 220 lbs., or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 lbs. of Extremely Hazardous Waste per month.
Common hazardous waste accepted include:
- Mercury-containing products such as Fluorescent Lamps, Thermometers, and Batteries.
- Propane Tanks, Helium Tanks, and Aerosol Cans.
- Automotive Fluids including Motor Oil, Lubricants, Oil Filters, and Antifreeze.
- Landscaping Chemicals including Pesticides, Herbicides, Fungicides, and Fertilizers.
- Latex and Oil-Based Paint as well as Paint-Related Materials such as Stains, Varnishes, Roofing Tar, Adhesives, Joint Compounds, and other Petroleum-Based Products.
- Developer and Fixer.
- Acids, Bases, Oxidizers, and Swimming Pool Chemicals.
- Solvents, Flammable Solids and Liquids, and Detergents.
How to Participate:
Step 1: Determine if you Qualify
- The business must qualify as a Very Small Quantity Generator(VSQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.5.
According to code, you must generate less than 220 lbs., or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 lbs. of Extremely Hazardous Waste per month.
Non-Profits, landlords, apartment managers, and businesses who generate hazardous waste are considered small businesses, and are not exempt from disposal fees.
Step 2: Obtain a California E.P.A. I.D. Number
- All participants of the Small Business Program MUST HAVE an EPA Identification Number. Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA) at 1-800-618-6942 to apply for either a Temporary or Permanent Number. In the majority of cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the phone. Please be patient and prepared for high call volumes.
Step 3: Submit an Inventory Sheet
- After printing and filling out this Inventory Sheet, instructions below, please call Clean Earth at 800-207-8222.
Step 4: Schedule and Appointment
- Once we receive your inventory sheet, we will produce a price quote and contact you. Pricing varies and is dependent on material type and container type and size. Please call 800-207-8222 for inquires about pricing. If you agree to the price and wish to proceed, we will create an account for you. Once your account is created, we can proceed with setting up an appointment. We have hazardous waste collection events for businesses in San Martin and San Jose. Once you agree to an appointment, we will fax or email you your copy of the waste manifest along with a map and directions to our facility.